Evaluation is an ongoing process, comprising surprise tests, midterm and end-of-term examinations, and annual/university examinations. Credit from these continuous assessments contributes towards the final examination scores. The assessment process is used step by step to determine whether instructional objectives are being achieved. To evaluate student’s competencies, skills and attitudes, a variety of assessment methods are used, including short essay questions, MCQs, practical and oral examinations and clinical tests. In line with the PMDC stipulation, the pass / fail threshold for all tests and examination has been fixed at 50 %.
BUMDC’s evaluation system encourages each student to create personal standards of excellence rather than to rely upon grades only or complete with peers. Students failing behind the rest of the class are helped by remedial coaching, if necessary.
Mandatory requirement to appear for the university examination include 75 percent attendance in all disciplines. However, persistent unsatisfactory performance or chronic absenteeism could lead to withdrawal of students from the college.
MBBS: 30% of total marks of each subject are allotted to internal assessment. Internal assessment of Theory is based on term test and pre-annual exam, conducted by the College, while internal assessment of Viva Voce / Practical is based on practical and ward assessment / tests / visit reports.
The BUMDC has its own Examination Cell which plays a very important part in running the academics of the institution. This dept is in liaison with the examination department of Bahria University Main Campus at Islamabad.
The cell has the following responsibilities:-
- Conduct various Internal and modular examinations
- Conduct Professional examinations along with examination department of Bahria University at Main Campus Islamabad
- Prepare results of different examinations
- Develop Question Bank
- Maintain academic record of the students
General Eligibility for a Professional Examination
A student is eligible to appear in a professional examination, at the end of an academic year, subject to fulfilling the following conditions:
- Has studied the prescribed courses during ht academic year;
- Has attended at least 75% lectures, demonstrations, practical and clinical sessions in each subject separately;
- Has paid the examination fee as prescribed by the University;
- Student’s admission form, for that particular examination, has been submitted to the Director of Examinations by the College; and
Additional conditions pertaining to professional examination of MBBS course are given in the ensuing paragraphs.
- The University examination is held only twice each academic year (i.e. Annual and Supplementary) for each class.
- There are no more than two professional University examinations in an academic year.
- The same fee is payable whether a candidates appears in one or more subjects.
- There is an External Examiner for each subject of all the MBBS Professional Examinations who is equally associated with the Internal Examiner in Theory, Practical, Clinical and Viva Voce Examination as laid down by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC).
- Whatever may be the system of marking for all examinations throughout the medical course, the percentage of pas marks in each subject is not less than fifty, i.e.50% in theory and 50% in oral and Practical / clinical examinations separately.
- No grace marks are allowed to the medical students in any examination.
- No students are promoted to the higher class unless he passes all the subjects of the previous class.
- The final Professional MBBS examination is not taken before the close of the fifth academic year of medical students.
Academic Standard for Award of MBBS
A candidates who has passed the final professional MBBS examination, from Bahria University constituent / affiliated college shall be entitled to the Degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) from Bahria University, provided he / she has conformed to al the requirements of PMDC which may be enforced from time to time.
Registration and Examination of MBBS Students
First Professional MBBS Part-I Examination
- A candidate shall be eligible to appear in the first Professional MBBS Part-I Examination at the end of 1stacademic year if he / she has studies the prescribed courses during first academic year.
- Any student who fails to clear the first professional MBBS Part-I examination in four chances availed or un-availed after becoming eligible for each examination shall cease to become eligible for further medical education in Pakistan.
- No student shall be promoted to 2ndyear class till he / she passes the University examination in Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry.
Second Professional MBBS Examination
- A candidate shall be eligible to appear in the Second Professional MBBS Examination at the end of the third academic year if he /she has passed the First Professional MBBS Examination Part I & II and has studies the prescribed courses during third academic year.
- A candidates who fails (whether appeared or absent) in one or more subjects in 2nd Professional Annual Examination shall be eligible to re-appear in the subsequent University Examination (Supplementary / Annual) in the subject or subjects in which he / she has failed.
- No students shall be promoted t 4thyear class till he / she passes the University Examinations in Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Pathology General and Microbiology and Forensic Medicine the professional courses.
Third Professional MBBS Examination
- A candidate shall be eligible to appear in the Third Professional MBBS Examination at the end of fourth academic year, if he / she has passed the 2ndProfessional MBBS Examination from a recognized Institute and has studies the prescribed coursed during the fourth Academic year.
- A candidate who fails (whether appeared or absent) in one or more subjects in 3rdProfessional Annual Examination shall be eligible to re-appear in the subsequent University Examinations (Supplementary / Annual) in the subject in which he / she has failed.
- No student shall be promoted to 5thyear class till he / she passes the University examinations in the professional courses.
Final Profession MBBS Examination
- A candidate shall be eligible to appear in the Final Professional MBBS Examination, if he / she has passed the 3rdProfessional MBBS Examination from a recognized Institute and ha fulfilled the minimum requirement for the clinical training at a recognized hospital/institute, as laid down in the PMDC Regulations.
- The final MBBS Examination in Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology shall not be further subdivided for qualifying in the Final Professional MBBS Examination.
- Three academic years at least shall intervene between the dates of passing the 1st(Part I & II) and the Final Professional Examination professional examination for MBBS degree.
- A candidate who fails (Whether appeared or absent) in one or more subjects in Final Professional Annual Examination shall be eligible to re-appear in the subsequent University Examinations (Supplementary / Annual) in the subject or subjects in which he / she failed.